30 March 2009

Of Birds and Speech Tournaments

When I first got Thor, I thought he would sit in his cage all day and sing beautiful little songs while I worked on homework. Such is not the case. While I'm typing, he is busy grooming himself on my shoulder, shrieking loudly every so often and nibbling on my ear. As it turns out, birds do have personalities. This one was born into a too-small body. With the ego of a bald eagle, if not a vulture, he raises a stink every time you treat him as the 0.5 lb bird he is. Fortunately for my ear, he is not an eagle or a vulture, but that's beside the point: it's actually a pleasant to write with a little friend behind one's ear.

But enough of that.

This year, I competed in four events in the NCFCA: An Open Interpretation, Impromptu, Expository, and Lincoln-Douglas Debate. You may be wondering what they're about (not really, but it's a good transition and excuse to tell you) My interpretation was from G.K. Chesterton's The Club of Queer Trades. The Expository was on the Large Hadron Collider, built be CERN (European Centre for Nuclear Research in French) and physics in general, while I debated on this resolution - Resolved: When in conflict, Idealism ought to be valued above Pragmatism.

Of these events, I qualified to Regionals in all but the Interpretation. I can't say I'm sorry about that, though, because the OI was so much work, and I have more than enough to worry about at Regionals as it is. So I'm quite busy refining cases, practicing speeches, and worrying in the two weeks before the big tournament.

This means I need another list of things I don't have control over:
1. My Reputation
2. Regionals
3. My friends' opinions of me


B

No comments:

Post a Comment