16 October 2012

YES

Oh my goodness gracious yes!!

YES.

Ladies and gentlemen, another film has been added to my list of All - Time - Favorite movies. Already on the list are L'Herison, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon,  the Illusionist; the Batman Trilogy,  and now : Memoirs of a Geisha.

Put aside that it's a Spielberg;
Put aside that John Williams *asked* to write the score ;
Put aside that Itzhak "I'm a bloody genius " Perelman and Yo - Yo " you've got to be kidding " Ma play duets;

IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL IMMA GO DIE IN MY HAPPY PLACE.

Yes, the plot may not captivate a shorter attention span; yes, it does depict some immorality in (very beautiful)  detail ; yes, it deals with mature subjects.

But the beautiful details are just so exquisitely heartbreaking!! The texture!  The cinematography!  The close shots of entrancing, mysterious women!  The layers of silk upon silk upon skin! The elegant curve of the slightly exposed nape of the neck and the subtly seductive turn of the wrist! And the colors - don't get me started.

Memoirs of a Geisha is filled with many aesthetic highs. I felt like I had used all my senses by the end. From the sweet young girl running joyfully through a long corridor of orange and black pillars to the hypnotic curl of smoke from Mother's pipe to that final, passionate kiss in the middle of a reflecting pond, this movie was simply exquisite.

If nothing else,  watch it for your five senses. You will be surprised by the little motions, the tilt of the head and the curl of a Finger that stands out. It reminds me once again that it truly is the little moments that are the most profound. The most life changing. The most inspiring. And if that isn't worth reminding yourself, I don't know what is

No comments:

Post a Comment