01 May 2009

I'll Fly Away Part II

I am sorry to say that Molly, poodle friend of 3 years, joined Thor in the Great Beyond on Wednesday, April 29th, 2009, at 6:30 pm. She was going to turn 7 years old this June.

Molly was to turn 7 this June.

Her death has really shook me. Three weeks ago, she was fine, a little bundle of energy and high spirits. Then, when I came back from Regionals in Colorado, she was on permanent bed rest; Her left legs were no longer supporting any weight. Over that last two weeks since then, she has steadily worsened. As her condition deteriorated, a look of pure, blind terror starting coming into her eyes. A week ago today, we took her into the emergency pet hospital because she lost feeling in her right foreleg as well. We started her on a liquid diet last Monday, but on Tuesday night, she was having seizures and we didn't think she'd be alive on Wednesday morning.

Wednesday morning finally rolled around after yet another sleepless night, and Molly started smelling like she was decaying on the inside. All four paws were limp and Molly was effectively paralyzed from the neck down. Her legs and paws were cold, and did not respond to any stimuli. I tried to go to co-op that morning, but as it turned out, I couldn't even last five minutes there without starting to cry. So I skipped classes and spent most of the rest of the day laying in bed with Molly, trying to comfort her. Around noon, her eyes stopped responding to my voice, and she lay with her eyes rolling around in their sockets, or just staring off into space. It hurt to see how terrified she was. I went to my logic class that afternoon, and when I came back, Molly was even worse, much as I thought it impossible. Her eyes would only focus briefly before turning inwards again.

Mom and I had to make the decision to take her into the emergency hospital again, because Molly was truly suffering. We called her previous owner, Mrs. Russell, and she was to meet us at the hospital to say her last goodbyes. As we drove over to the clinic, Molly gradually became more and more calm, licking my hand a little as we turned into the parking lot. I carried her into the hospital, where Mrs. Russell was waiting for us, along with her son-in-law who owned Molly's recently deceased sister. I put Molly into Mrs. Russell's hand, and Molly perked up slightly when she saw Mrs. Russell and heard her voice.

The nurse came back into the waiting room, and started to lead us back to the grief room, where the euthanasia would occur. As I carried Molly back to the room, she started. It looked like she had been shocked or something. We got into the room, and Molly quite literally started having death throes. Her heart and breathing would stop, and then she'd jolt back into life for a few seconds, just to repeat the sequence. Mrs. Russell, Mom, Dad, and I were all around her as this was going on, and she died in our arms a few minutes later, as we prayed over her. We never had to euthanize her. It was as if she was waiting to see Mrs. Russell one more time before she died.

Mea amica, in pace requiescas. Spero vidi te postmodo.

No comments:

Post a Comment