26 January 2010

Concerning tournaments

First of all, let me say I am incredibly proud of my club and my friends. Looking over the results from last weekend's tournament, I find numerous references to both groups. Merely thinking about it gives me a slight attack of a warm, fuzzy feeling. Great job, guys!

Because Jedi Gerbils was an Iron Man this tournament, I had little opportunity to hang out with her. In consequence, I sought out different members of my club to pass the hours between rounds. It was an illuminating experience, to say the least. I hope that friendships I started there may continue into the future. Though once again, I may have dosed these friends with larger amounts of Problematic humor than they really wished. Oh well. I'm going to be selfish and say that I don't regret it. ;)

Unfortunately for this same group, I aptly demonstrated my ability to be an emotional time bomb. Because of extenuating circumstances, for the entirety of last week, I averaged six hours of sleep for every forty-eight hours that passed. The stress of finishing and memorizing speeches added to that, and a bad round on Saturday afternoon was the proverbially straw that broke the camel's back. I had two breakdowns on Saturday, and as a result, I fear I was unforgivably rude and upsetting to many of my club mates. Looking on the plus side, two of the interpreters from club can now claim to have a crying audience. I leave it up to you to decide if that's a good thing.

What's that you say, shoulder paparazzi? How did I do? Meh, alright. I got a sixth place and an eight place in two of my events, which is cool. I'm more concerned about debate. In one round, the only thing the judge came away with was that I was a bumbling idiot. He gave me 9 speaker points. >wince< To put that in perspective, the lowest you can get is 5. The RFD was particularly illuminating, though, and I now have a good idea of what needs to go in my new NEG and what needs to be added.

There is another tournament this weekend which Calvin, Hobbes, and Escapist are going to. I will be praying for them as they compete in southern Oregon.

Well, I've got to get ready for speech club now.

'ta,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment